Re: strange reference questions

When Ted Turner's movie "Gettysburg" came out several years ago, it caused
yet the latest commontion about Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine
regiment.  In the film, Kevin Conway plays "Buster" Kilran, Chamberlain's
aide-de-camp.  Buster was a fictitious character; I believe Chamberlain's
aide was named Elihu somebody.  Anyway, we received many calls regarding
Buster's reality and requests as to where he was buried.

Anyway, after this had gone on long enough, I was in the right impish mood
one day to respond to the question "Was Buster real?" as follows:  "Yes,
Buster was real.  In fact, he did not die in the battle of Gettysburg as the
movie shows but went on to a fascinating career.  As you may know, the
battle was caused by Confederate soldiers looking for shoes, which they
lacked.  Buster never forgot this, and after the war, he returned north,
took the name of "Brown" and with the help of his dog, Tige, he created
Buster Brown shoes, which we remember even today."

The caller got off the phone before I could explain I was joking.  I was
believed!  Maybe I should run for office.

Art ("care to buy a bridge?") Dostie