Re: strange reference questions

This didn't happen while I worked in a library, but rather at a major
bookstore chain.  A lady called on the phone and spoke to one of our
sales ladies.
"Do you have Beowulf by William Shakespeare?" she asked.  "Yes, we do,
but Shakespeare didn't write it," replied the sales lady.  "I'm sorry,"
said the lady on the phone, "he most certainly did.  Shakespeare!!?  You
know, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet....I suppose you think he didn't write
those as well!"
Sometimes it's just not worth arguing with a patron or customer.

Steve Cox
Special Collections Librarian
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Jennifer Hecker wrote:

First, my contributions:

Here at one of the largest labor archives in the country, we often
get the "Do you have anything on labor?" question. (Although, I must
explain that -- at least in my experience -- 80% of these requests
are called in to the Reading Room desk by other staff members
attempting to harass an innocent new hire.)

When I worked at the Austin Public Library, I was told of the woman
who came in looking for the Gettysburg address for her son who needed
it for a class. When presented with a slim bound copy of the address
in its entirety she objected, saying she only needed the address
(thinking, of course that it was a street address she was seeking).

I've also heard of institutions getting requests to have modern
objects carbon dated to determine their age.

Also:

Does anyone who wrote in object to their anecdote and name being
posted on a webpage? I thought I'd compile my favorites and slap up a
list. I will, of course, send the URL when I finish. (Email me
off-list if you don't want your story or name used.)

--
Jennifer Hecker, MLIS
Librarian/Archivist