From: Butcher Sharon L Contr AEDC/ACS [mailto:Sharon.Butcher@ARNOLD.AF.MIL]
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 3:31 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Strange requests

As a librarian, and not unlike archivists, I am not hesitant to ask questions. Being able to ask questions and knowing where to go for answers helped me greatly in a bizarre turn of events some years ago. If this thing seems circuitous, it is, and you can well imagine my consternation as all this unfolded. Perhaps some of you may benefit from this 'learning experience' as I have come to call it. I have still not reached the point where I can laugh about this, and I doubt that I ever really will, but knowledge is power, and we archivists and librarians hold skills to empower us when problems confront us.  Without my knowledge skills, the ordeal would have been a lot worse.   To make a short story long, I sell House A to a lady buyer who uses an S&L for her mortgage (the S&L irregularities were coming to light at this time, but this S&L was OK). I buy a house from a private owner, using the bank that had acquired the mortgage on House A, from a smaller bank. A year or so after the bank merger, and yet before I sell the house and buy this other one,  the new bank forgot to issue 1099's on CD's, so IRS contacts me, asking why I had not reported some interest on a CD. I checked, no 1099 had been issued. I inform the IRS of this, and apparently other CD holders at the new bank  were in the same boat. IRS was satisfied and I breathed a sigh of relief. I should have let that be an omen that something was not right with this new bank, but I gave them the benefit of the doubt.         Fast forward a couple years. I use the same new bank for the mortgage on the house I bought from the private owner. It seems all the paperwork goes through fine, and I move.  About two months after I move, I get a call from the S&L, asking me if I am aware of a 'problem', to which I reply, no. I am advised to call the new bank. I thought, this can't be bad, probably forgot to sign a document or something. I wish. The mortgage officer informs me that the  mortgage on House A is still open, that the bank has popped two mortgage payments on to my Visa card (wise move to not have a credit card with the mortgage holder) without my knowledge or permission, that I am still liable for this mortgage, etc.  I am stunned. I ask how this happened. He tells me not to worry, these things happen all the time. To which I reply, his institution should therefore not be in the mortgage banking business. Dead silence on the other end of the line....paradigm shift.   I rarely get steamed, but I was this time. I indicated I had paid several hundred dollars for the bank to process all this paperwork, and as one who had bought/sold two other homes, this erroneous mortgage closing was news to me that 'these things happen all the time.'  I asked for something in writing, many times, and the bank was reluctant to come forward with anything on paper.  I had to take it upon myself to determine who made this 'mistake.'  I was able to show the S&L was clean, as was the title company. Hmm...this leaves only the bank, who has not really fessed up to this 'mistake'.  Time for professional legal counsel. I got a great recommendation (from the local legal aid society) for an attorney who had dealt with similar cases, and my first visit with him assured me that I wasn't going to jail (whew!) and that this 'mistake' happens only rarely, and it just so happened that Lady Luck dealt me this situation. The attorney provided a much needed buffer between me and the bank.  However, I am not one to sit back...I had to scout out a few things myself.  I felt this error merited filing a complaint with the hierarchy to whom this bank reported. I had been aware vaguely of some reporting hierarchy from having done quite a bit of business reference work, so a quick call to the state attorney general's office yielded instantly the name of the next institution up in the banking food chain. I called the Controller of the Currency in the respective area, had a sympathethic ear, and a complaint form on the way.  I was able to easily determine the top three officers of the new bank, and I sent each of them, in a bright neon pink envelope marked 'personal and confidential',  a copy of the filled out complaint form and some documentation.  Bingo. The bank suddenly becomes quite cordial, and the bank officer I dealt with, when I next talked with him, inquired as to how I knew the names of the top three officers of the bank. I told him I was a librarian and that finding the names was a no-brainer.   I don't like to play hard ball, but no other way in this one.  Well, I began to wonder what sort of precedent had been set in the small number of similar cases. So off I go on a bitter cold Saturday morning to one of the local law schools. I arrive before the law library opens (this is before the great access now via Lexis-Nexis, and WestLaw, etc., that we have today), and strike up a conversation with a law student who also waiting for the library to open. He asks why I am there, so I tell him my tale of woe. Voila! He tells me he is taking a real estate law course, and that my dilemma is the perfect thing to bring up to the professor teaching the class. Hallelujia, I say...go for it!  Free legal advice, from a professor well versed in real estate law. Wow! What luck!  The student tells me he will call me in a few days with the professor's advice.   I nonetheless do some research on my own, and the courts have felt the average consumer is baffled by amortization tables, that we seek a lending institution's expertise to get through the mortage muddle, etc.   Settlements range anywhere from the bank eating the loss completely, or extracting any/all from the unhappy bank customer.  I felt reassured by my rare foray into a law library.    I anxiously await the call from the law student, and when it comes, I have another interesting surprise. The law student said he brought the scenario to the attention of the professor (likely in front of the entire class?) who turned livid. The prof wanted to know why the student was broaching such a case, etc.  The student, so the student said, indicated a lady was by  the library over the weekend, and she was having trouble with a local bank that had closed out the wrong mortgage. She was seeking information on such cases as well as precedents.  The student said he felt it was his moral responsibility to help me, by bringing the matter before the prof......    Here the prof was on retainer to the bank and was very familiar with the case, apparently advising the bank on how to handle the case and deal with the mild mannered librarian that had filed the complaint with the Controller of the Currency!!  Yo!     I do not know if the law student passed that course, or if he ever made it through law school, but I think he had the stuff of a public defender, bless his heart.    At first I felt upset about this last turn of events, but after sleeping on it, I thought it is a free country, and I can go to any academic library or public library I want.  It is my prerogative to be pro-active....especially when such an incredible mistake had been made.    To wind this up, we reached a satisfactory resolution to the matter. My attorney said I was not his typical client, that none of his other ones knew they could file a complaint with a higher authority or that they could go to a law library and ferret around.  I have been told that someone's head rolled at the bank (that was not my intent, but with the top officers aware of this mistake, it is likely improvements in accuracy resulted in the mortgage department).  The bank finally told me after several months that some temporary workers had been called in to assist during that time of heavy mortgage activity (I do not know if that is really what happened). Somehow, a mortgage two counties away, a house with a parcel number totally different, with an owner with  a surname totally different (and he had brought this to the attention of the teller at his branch when he went in to make his mortgage payment and had been told twice it had been paid off...go figure), had been closed out. A really obvious lack of attention to detail, it would seem.  The HUD statement is totally in error, but I have been told by several attorneys that there is little need to worry about that. (So now I wonder really how important that piece of paper is in the overall scheme of things..).   It seems like quite a few things acquired from the smaller (better run?) bank in the merger 'fell through the cracks.' The bank has never really acknowledged that they made the mistake, and no apology was ever forthcoming from them.  However, I felt that my ability to ask questions empowered me when this distressing event began to unfold. The bank's demeanor changed abruptly upon my filing the complaint which I felt was quite justified. Sorry to have gone on and on, but it is cathartic to unload.

So, once again, knowledge really IS power. I think the fact that the professor was on retainer to the bank shows how small the world really is and that information threads lead to some very interesting places....although I love to help answer questions, I am also a big asker of questions, too.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library
100 Kindel Drive, Ste C212