Foreign currency

Don't go to a regular bank unless you have just won the lottery.  Surprisingly enough, I have been successful in just sending a personal check, but adding at least $5 (actually I think maybe more than that) to cover their costs in cashing it. This was for journal subscriptions in France, and the recipient of the check was a semi-governmental academically-oriented agency.  It is certainly necessary for them to recoup their costs for cashing it, but even if you add the better part of $10 it is still a lot cheaper than purchasing a foreign bank draft at a bank, which costs an astronomical amount and would only make sense if you were buying a house or a very important piece of art.  Hopefully  someone else will have a more exact approach than this, but I got so tired of paying out big bucks for a tiny check that I just tried it once and it worked.  (Of course, you have to get the latest exchange rate and figure out the basic cost first.)

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Archives