From: Fred Lautzenheiser [mailto:LAUTZEF@CCF.ORG]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 10:24 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Foreign currency

Don't go to a regular bank unless you have just won the lottery.
Surprisingly enough, I have been successful in just sending a personal
check, but adding at least $5 (actually I think maybe more than that) to
cover their costs in cashing it. This was for journal subscriptions in
France, and the recipient of the check was a semi-governmental
academically-oriented agency.  It is certainly necessary for them to recoup
their costs for cashing it, but even if you add the better part of $10 it is
still a lot cheaper than purchasing a foreign bank draft at a bank, which
costs an astronomical amount and would only make sense if you were buying a
house or a very important piece of art.  Hopefully  someone else will have a
more exact approach than this, but I got so tired of paying out big bucks
for a tiny check that I just tried it once and it worked.  (Of course, you
have to get the latest exchange rate and figure out the basic cost first.)

Fred Lautzenheiser
Cleveland Clinic Archives