Re: Digitizing taped interviews

We have a program here called "Spin Doctor," a part of the Adaptec package,
that will take analog sound from records, cassettes, and real to reel tapes
and convert them to Audio CDs.  It works great, and I have been steadily
transferring oral history tapes to this format.  Of course, I keep the
original tapes, since next year CDs will be obsolete, as will every other
computer software package we are all using.  (There is no money in keeping
things as they are....)

The main advantage of using the audio CDs is that we can keep from putting a
lot of wear and tear on our tape players and still allow customers to access
the interviews.  You have to preserve those old tape players,  you know,
because the people who  know how to repair them, and the spare parts, are
going to become as common as the guys who know how to fix Linotypes.  Does
anyone know any good mechanics who specialize in steam engines?

Kim (embracing the new age with profound reluctance) Scott