From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU]On
Behalf Of Liz Linton
Sent: Friday, July 19, 2002 12:27 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: old newspaper storage

Dear folks:

My library would like to keep original newspapers for the local county.
We already have all years on microfilm, but we'd like to begin keeping
the paper also.

Each year's worth of newspaper creates a stack about 5 inches deep and
12 x 15 tall and wide. I was planning to store a year's worth of paper
in an acid free box, but I can't find any pre-made boxes that large on
the market. We don't have a huge supply budget for storing these papers,
so I need your suggestions.

Does anyone know of a source for large off-the-rack boxes measuring 5 x
12 x 15"?

Failing that, what is a good source for economically priced custom-made
archival boxes?

What is the best way to store these newspapers without spending more
than about $35.00 in supplies per stack?

The archivally impaired thank you for any assistance you can provide!
:)
--Liz

--
Liz Linton
Reference, Instruction and Electronic Resource Librarian