Re: old newspaper storage

We have transferred all of our loose newspaper holdings into
acid-free newspaper boxes that we got from Metal Edge.  Their
dimensions are 17x23x2.   For years, we used large acid-free
folders which worked but the papers slid around and they were
hard to handle.    My predecessor made folders by using card-
board covers hinged with polymer thread packing tape but
being sure the inside newspapers were all wrapped in large
sheets of Permalife paper.    Over the years the tape dried and
hung in strings and looked awful for tours.

Yes, the boxes do cost money.  But they are easier to handle,
move, look great, and we put large lettered labels on them which
allow us to find papers and years a lot easier.

Our papers are arranged by county (using 3 letters of the county
name--ESC for Escambia), then by city (P4 for Pensacola) and
then from the title (G2 for Gazette)...the numbers come from the
C.A. Cutter table.   It is simple, allows for geographic storage,
and easy for filing.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338