access to selected parts of microfilm

Dear Colleagues,

Some years ago, a good decision to microfilm a great
number of documents in our archives was made.  The
microfilming is done.

However, now for a variety of reasons, we would like
to make the documents accessible to researchers, but
not all of them.  The accessible and inaccessible
documents are mixed on the film.  I can`t think of any
good solution.

We could make copies of the accessible, but one of the
reasons for microfilming was supposedly to save space.
 Still, at least the originals would remain safe from
wear and tear.

Someone thought we could make copies of the accessible
on some medium like microfiche.  I assume this would
be really expensive and time consuming.  Likewise, I
can`t imagine tying someone up to scan all these
things for years to provide them in digital format.

Any thoughts on this?  I personally think we will have
to make it all accessible--i.e., hand researchers the
film as is.

I am really asking here for practical solutions, not
theoretical questions about why we would or would not
allow access to a given document.

Thanks sincerely!

Sr. Annamaria Stadick
Schoenstatt Sisters of Mary