Re: Two Questions-Internment - Way Behind the Curve

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:23:26 -0400, Heard, Thomas <Thomas.Heard@AIG.COM>
wrote:

>Sharon,
>There are a number of books about internment in general and some
>specifically on German-American and Italian American experiences.  I would
>suggest the patron get secondary works and try to identify archival
holdings
>through the bibliography.  I expect NARA would be one of the major sources.
>
>examples:>
>America's Invisible Gulag: A Biography of German American Internment &
>Exclusion in World War II: Memory & History
>by Stephen Fox

Mr. Heard is absolutely right, there is extensive number of records on Alien
Enemy Internment Camps in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization
Service (Record Group 85), National Archives and Records Administration.  I
had the great pleasure of working with Dr. Fox, someday I'll have to look at
the book.

There are also Records of the War Relocation Authority (Record Group
210)Camps for US Citizens of Japanese decent, and Records of Prisoner of War
Camps in the Records of US Army Commands (Record Group 338).

Interested parties may wish to take a look at the NARA Web Site
(archives.nara.gov)to see if there is any photos or other records
immediately available on the "NAIL" portion, or call NARA.

Regards,

Jim Cassedy
Life Cycle Management Division
NARA