Re: cataloging books

From: darcy newbold <darcynew@YAHOO.COM>
Date: 2002/07/26 Fri AM 06:06:38 EDT
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: cataloging books

Hi Darcy,  As our colleague suggests, the Library of Congress catalog is a good source.  However, the catalog is often so busy during peak hours that it is hard to get in.  You might try other research libraries with rich European collections, for example Princeton's OPAC (http://libweb.princeton.edu/) or Yale (http://www.library.yale.edu/), and others.  I assume you want to assign LC Classification numbers.
This kind of piecemeal searching I find quite time consuming, however, if you have to hop from catalog to catalog hoping to find something (which is why WEBCat is useful).
Another trick is to assign a good solid subject heading to your book, and search for other books on that topic, then revise the call number to fit your title.
Be sure and check the number in comparison to other books in the collection to make sure your copy "matches" the general scheme.
This requires a little manipulation but is far easier than creating call numbers from scratch.  Princeton's technical services has some helpful pages (Cutter tables, etc.), some of which are available without login (http://infoshare1.princeton.edu/katmandu/class/clastoc.html).

Vivian Thiele
Special Collections and University Archives
Alexander Library
Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ

Dear List-

As part of our archives we have a collection of about
2500 books to which I would like to assign call
numbers so that they can actually be found and used
with some degree of ease. I have directions on how to
assign numbers, but that just seems way more
complicated and time consuming than I'd like. I'd
hoped to use call numbers from another larger
collection, but almost all of the books are from
European publishers of varying nationalities. In
addition, several date from the 19th C. The up-shot of
this is that I'm having a hard time finding a
collection that has these books and an on-line
catalog. I don't particularly want to subscribe to
WorldCat, since this is a one time deal. Does anybody
have any suggestions?

Darcy Newbold
Heinz Family Archives