lubricating film

We recently received a small reel of 16 mm film that is about 35 years old.
The donor has emphasized that the film is dry and should be lubricated
before it is viewed.

The donor is willing to pay for a VHS copy of the film. We don't have the
resources to undertake a conversion of all our film at this point; what has
been done in the past was done locally. Before we start checking with
vendors to see if they can do the conversion without damaging the film, can
anyone tell me if lubricating the film is an appropriate or inappropriate
thing to do? In other words, if I told a prospective vendor that the film
needed to be lubricated, what would a qualified vendor say?

I've searched the list archives for film conversion and found some good
information, but I didn't find anything to answer my question.

Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,

Laurie Langland
Project Archivist