From: Alan Virta [mailto:AVIRTA@BOISESTATE.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2002 2:03 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Mobile Shelving Service Contract

Two years ago, a regional vendor installed a compact mobile shelving
system in  our archives.  It's a manual system, national brand name, and
it has worked reliably, without much difficulty, once the initial kinks
were worked out. About half of our collections ride on this mobile
shelving.
  The vendor is offering us an annual service contract.  For $3122
($2341 this year if we respond positively within a few weeks) we will
get 2 maintenance checks per year and covered labor and parts for normal
wear and tear.  Labor rate if no maintenance contract is $50/hour.
   Advice is welcome.  Can anyone tell me their experience with service
contracts, or experience without service contracts, to help us decide
how to spend our ever-diminishing share of the state budget.  Thanks!

   Alan Virta, Head of Special Collections
   Boise State University, Albertsons Library (Boise, Idaho)