medical examiner records

We have just been offered the records of a local doctor who served as
medical examiner for the town for over 50 years.  Can any of you tell me
about death records of this type?  Are they public records?  Do they belong
to the doctor or the town?  If we do end up with them in our collection, is
the information open to the public or should we close them for a number of
years?  Is there a period of time set by law?

The rest of the records that have been offered do not hold any private
medical information - mainly appointment books with names.

Obviously, I haven't dealt with this kind of material before.  Is there
anything else I should know?

Thanks,

Barbara Allen
Special Collection, Stockbridge Library