Re: ARCHIVES Digest - 30 Jul 2002 to 31 Jul 2002 (#2002-213)

We have here at Peabody a ten-year old manual compact shelving system
that suddenly began showing its age.  I contacted a well known provider
asking for a quote on the repair of 3 units.  I was taken aback when I
received a proposal for $13,000+.  I pondered this for a while and then
it dawned on me that I was being asked to put up a sizable amount of
money for what was essentially a pretty simple bicycle repair.  I called
the head of our maintenance staff who took a quick look at the problem,
and returned with a small brown paper bag of off-the-shelf parts from
our local hardware store and a petty cash request for $35.00.  Voila!
Fully functional shelves in an hour.

Before plunking down that money, I'd talk to your maintenance crew to
see what they can handle for you.  Granted, we have a fabulous
maintenance staff - but I'll bet most of you have people on your crews
that can handle these problems.

Elizabeth Schaaf
Archivist
Archives of the Peabody Institute