Mold on open reel audio tapes

Question:

We recently acquired a collection containing several hundred open reel
audio tapes.  Some of the boxes in which these tapes arrived are moldy.

Replacing the boxes is easy, but does anyone know how to do a fair job of
cleaning the tapes themselves?  Without sending them to an outside vendor
for cleaning?  We don't have an open reel player capable of handling this
size reel, so we can't get the tape off and on a reel.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Evan Towle
        Urban Archives
        Philadelphia