Re: Mold on open reel audio tapes

We clean 1/4" open reel audio tapes here at UNC-Chapel Hill. It requires a
spare open reel tape deck, 3m cleaning tape, new slotless reels and a special
box that contains the mold once it is loose and has a hose to a hepa filter.
It also requires gloves and a mask for the operator.

We only do 1/4" audio tape all other moldy formats we need to clean we send
out to a vendor. There are a number of vendors who do this work.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Steve Weiss
Head, Southern Folklife Collection

Evan towle wrote:

> Question:
>
> We recently acquired a collection containing several hundred open reel
> audio tapes.  Some of the boxes in which these tapes arrived are moldy.
>
> Replacing the boxes is easy, but does anyone know how to do a fair job of
> cleaning the tapes themselves?  Without sending them to an outside vendor
> for cleaning?  We don't have an open reel player capable of handling this
> size reel, so we can't get the tape off and on a reel.
>
> Thanks in advance for any tips.
>
> Evan Towle
>         Urban Archives
>         Philadelphia

Steven M. Weiss
Head of the Southern Folklife Collection/Media Archivist
Manuscripts Department
CB#3926, Wilson Library
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-8890
Voice:(919)962-1345