Thanks re: lubricating film

My thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry re: lubricating film. Most
replies were posted to the list, but I also received some directly, which I
wanted to share:

**********
I'm not sure what they mean by saying the film is dry. I assume this means
it is old and brittle. It is important to measure any old film for
shrinkage. If it has shrunken more than 1% it should not be run through an
editor or projector because of the potential for damage. There are film
cleaners available that lubricate the film while cleaning, though the
efficacy of these products is the matter of some debate. Some of these
products are supposed to evaporate before the film is repacked and with
others films are to be repacked wet. I would think that any reputable
company that does film transfer work would be able to clean and lubricate
the print before copying it. The AMIA listserv is also a good place to find
info and have questions answered. The AMIA website is available at
<http://www.amianet.org/> and has links to joining the listserv. Kodak
Motion Picture Imaging site has a wealth of information.
<http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/support/technical/hand.shtml>
will lead to some of the pertinent information.
**********
You should post your inquiry on AMIA-L. The address is AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU
<mailto:AMIA-L@LSV.UKY.EDU>.
**********
Acetate films do get brittle over time depending on how they are stored.
This is actually a chemical reaction that has occurred through oxidation
and is not reversible. There is no way to 'lubricate' the film. The
accepted solution for salvaging 'brittle' film is to restore it. This
restoration process is expensive and is done by experts in the 'film'
industry.

Sincerely,

Laurie Langland
Project Archivist