Re: oral history storage

We have a fairly extensive collection of recorded oral history
interviews (and transcripts).  I can can see no compelling argument for
storing the recorded media and paper together.  It's neither an
effective use of storage space, nor particularly kind to the paper.  If
the database and finding aid are well-constructed, the recording and the
transcription should be easily cross-referenced.  We store the cassettes
(or CDs) in archival boxes manufactured for the purpose, but any decent
archival storage box should do.

There's also the environmental issue (which, admittedly, won't concern
the majority of institutions).  The optimal storage standards differ
among paper, audio-magnetic and digital media.  Storing tapes and paper
together restricts your opportunity later to store them in different
rooms with appropriate environments.

Bruce J. Beacock
County Archivist
Simcoe County Archives