oral history storage

We have become the repository for the Arkansas Center for Oral and Visual
History (see link from our web page) and must preserve tape-recorded
interviews and the transcripts thereof. These are delivered to us in manila
envelopes, but we don't find this a satisfactory long-term storage
solution. I dislike using those expanding "wallet" files with the string or
rubber-band fasteners, because they are so much thinner at the top than the
bottom that they don't fit well in boxes or standing alone on the shelf. We
are thinking about a folder that would house the tapes and transcript
together. Does anyone have experience, suggestions, warnings on this
subject? Thanks for your help.

Ethel C. Simpson
Head, Archives and Manuscripts
Special Collections