[no subject]

Since I get a lot of "tell me all about the history of<blank>", I've put
together several paragraphs on some of our institutions which I can send out
by email immediately and take care of those kinds of quick response
questions.  I'm also going to be using those capsule histories on our
Intranet, so I can direct employees there for even quicker answers.

I will say one thing (real tangent here) - I thought somebody had downplayed
the idea of statistics in one of the responses (apologies if I
misunderstood), and I have to disagree there.  If you're in a place that
handles a few hundred a week, I can understand that you might not want to
count each minor question, but I still think it helps to track all of them.
In the first place, management usually likes numbers, as it can help to
quantify what's happening in your facility.  Second, I think it's good to
know where your staff is spending its time and on who(m?).  I track the time
a request takes (in hour increments - I'm not completely nuts), which
division and department, and where the answer came from (i.e. what part of
the collections).

This way I know who I'm serving, what parts of the collection get used more
often, and I can present all of the numbers to anyone who wants to know what
I'm doing in my dungeon.

This went on way longer than I planned.

Daniel (Happy Birthday to Me!) Sokolow

Daniel Sokolow, Archives Coordinator
David Taylor Archives
North Shore-Long Island Jewish Health System
155 Community Drive
Great Neck, NY 11021
mailto:dsokolow@nshs.edu