Getting the jump on Friday

Title: Getting the jump on Friday

What can I say? We were both a little slap-happy yesterday and coming across the term spudding for the first time, neither of us could resist asking the list, in a Friday Funnies Frame of Mind, just what the term might mean.

Several off-list responses stood out; Amy Cooper's quoting the OED was great, since it had the dates of usage. Terry Abraham's pointer to great book on oil patch drilling technology led to website complete with illustrations.

But it was Susan Searcy's serendipitous typo that summed it up: "Aerial views are quilt amazing" and so they are. And so they are.

Thanks to all of you who posted, privately or publicly, we appreciated it and it only re-affirms what is good about the list.

Dennis "looking forward to spudding-less Friday" Moser