Archives and the Public Good

Please excuse cross postings

---------------
Dear colleagues,

It is my pleasure to announce the publication of a volume I have co-edited
with Richard Cox entitled: "Archives and the Public Good: Accountability
and Records in Modern Society" (Quorum Books, 2002). Revolving around
themes of explanation, secrecy, memory, and trust, this text brings
together twenty authors in fifteen chapters.

Below you will find details on book ordering from the publisher, the full
text of the introductory chapter, the biographies of the contributors (most
of whose names will be very familiar to the archives and records management
community), and the table of contents.

Richard Cox and I want to extend our personal thanks and gratitude to Rick
Barry for hosting information about this book on his website.
(http://www.mybestdocs.com/) under "What's New" and "Guest Authors."

Best regards, David A. Wallace
-----------------
ARCHIVES AND THE PUBLIC GOOD: ACCOUNTABILITY AND RECORDS IN MODERN SOCIETY
Richard J. Cox and David A. Wallace, Editors
(Quorum Books, 2002)

SEE DETAILS AT:
http://www.greenwood.com/books/BookDetail.asp?dept_id=1&sku=Q469

READ THE INTRODUCTORY CHAPTER AT:
http://www.mybestdocs.com/cox-wallace-book-intro.htm

READ THE CONTRIBUTOR BIOS AT:
http://www.mybestdocs.com/cox-wallace-contributors.htm

------------
TABLE OF CONTENTS

INTRODUCTION

Introduction, Richard J. Cox and David A. Wallace

EXPLANATION

Archives on Trial: The Strange Case of the Martin Luther King, Jr., Papers
James M. O'Toole

"A Monumental Blunder": The Destruction of Records on Nazi War Criminals in
Canada
Terry Cook

Information for Accountability Workshops: Their Role in Promoting Access to
Information
Kimberly Barata, Piers Cain, Dawn Routledge, and Justus Wamukoya

SECRECY

Implausible Deniability: The Politics of Documents in the Iran-Contra
Affair and Its Investigations
David A. Wallace

The Failure of Federal Records Management: The IRS Versus a Democratic
Society
Shelley Davis

Lighting Up the Internet: The Brown and Williamson Collection
Robin L. Chandler and Susan Storch

MEMORY

The Tuskegee Syphilis Study and the Politics of Memory
Tywanna Whorley

Turning History into Justice: The National Archives and Records
Administration and Holocaust-Era Assets 1996-2001
Greg Bradsher

"They Should Have Destroyed More": The Destruction of Public Records by the
South African State in the Final Years of Apartheid, 1990-1994
Verne Harris

Trying to Write "Comprehensive and Accurate" History of the Foreign
Relations of the United States: An Archival Perspective
Anne Van Camp

TRUST

What You Get Is Not What You See: Forgery and the Corruption of
Record-Keeping Systems
David B. Gracy II

The Jamaican Financial Crisis: Accounting for the Collapse of Jamaica's
Indigenous Commercial Banks
Victoria L. Lemieux

The Anchors of Community Trust and Academic Liberty: The Fabrikant Affair
Barbara L. Craig

Records and the Public Interest: The "Heiner Affair" in Queensland,
Australia
Chris Hurley

ABOUT THE CONTRIBUTORS AND EDITORS