From: sami pierson
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 5:53 PM
Subject: Re: Tuesday UnFunnies - RAIN Drop

Montana is in the same boat as Washington.  About three months ago the state
library took a 10% cut. Then just a couple weeks ago there was a special
legislative session.  Right off the bat they slashed the state library
budget by 50%.  By the way nothing compared to what they did to the state
archives/museum.  The archives would have had to completly shut down because
they couldn't run with the five employees that would have been left.
Luckily they received money at the last minute.  But back to the library
situation.  Some money was moved back into the library but the true nature
of the cuts won't be known until September.  So we here in Montana know
exactly what Washington is going through.

 TRACY BROWN wrote:
"Preaching to the choir, I know, but it costs so little in the grand scheme
of government budgets to run a library relative to, say, a pork-barrel
project, and all anybody can do is look for ways to shut them down. Given
an earlier spate of stories about them shutting the archives or library (I
forget which) in Wash. State, I'm starting to think there's a real
anti-library theme there."

It's probably not an anti-library theme that you're picking up on, but a
real strain of anti-intellectualism that exists in this country. Libraries
are scary places for people who don't value education.

Tracy Brown
Assistant Archivist
Autry Museum of Western Heritage

In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname*or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES

Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt

Sami Pierson
Archivist
IMLS National Leadership Project
Heritage Museum