From: Magda Zakanyi [mailto:mzakanyi@bloorviewmacmillan.on.ca]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 8:50 AM
To: 'DSokolow@NSHS.EDU'
Subject: Photot collection

Bloorview MacMillan Children's Center is a rehabilitation and chronic care
hospital, result of a merger of two institutions.

We have thousands of photos, slides, negatives, and films in our collection.

Years ago, when I started organizing the accumulated material, I included
both identified and unidentified photos, particularly from the early years.
(turn of century).
This , I would NOT do again!  Unless the image is a good period piece, very
much a representation of the time and place and people.
Otherwise they are just not being used.

Item level cataloguing IS essential not only for control purposes, but for
access and usability.
When I have a group of photos relating to the same event, I may put up to 10
in the same envelope, but within the envelope each photo is wrapped in
tissue paper and numbered individually.  e.g: on the envelope the ID is: Box
378 # 521 a-k.
On the tissue paper the ID would be: Box 378 # 521a; Box 378 # 521b.....
Within the database (Inmagic) I try to provide a suitable description of the
content.

We started to scan the photo collection only a couple of years ago. This is
an immense help.

Prior to that, I photocopied  each photo and placed the copies in binders.
Which is still being used a great deal.
When someone comes in, saying: "I want to do a presentation and want to
include various photos - but I am not sure what" - I give them the binders
to look at.
The reaction is usually: "this is wonderful" , "I want this and this", "you
have been a great help"....

I also found that capturing job title and department name changes is
important, so are attaching designations to people.
"Can you give me some pictures of physiotherapists from the '60s" type of
requests abound.

Sorry, I do not have any brilliant ideas, only "learned the hard way"
experiences.

Best regards,

Magda Zakanyi
Archive Coordinator