From: Sacharski, Susan [mailto:ssachars@nmh.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 2:07 PM
To: 'DSokolow@NSHS.EDU'
Subject: RE: Organization of Photo Collections

Daniel: I'll be interested in reading a synopsis of replies - if you get any
from those of us not traveling to Birmingham.  I am at the same crossroads,
and find there are many ways to categorize many of our photos. Item level
description seems necessary, at least for your really "good" shots.  But
then there's the problem of a typically described generic "patient care"
shot that could also be indexed or described by the era, for any medical
technology appearing in the shot, as well as for nurses or physicians, a
particular clinical unit, private/semiprivate/ward, interior design, etc.

I've also considered segregating some photos into separate collections by
photographer (where indicated on the reverse).  We were fortunate to have
several really good local photographers shoot spreads for annual reports and
other publications over the years, and I've started pulling those together -
if for no other reasons than that the original order was not useful and that
if they are ever put on our web site or copies are requested for
reproduction elsewhere, the copyright/permission issue comes up.

I'll donate an authentic Chicago Italian beef sandwich, dipped w/ hot
giardinare peppers, to our virtual party.