Re: printing cuts in a university archives

Title: RE: printing cuts in a university archives

While your inquiry is directed to those in University ARchives, as an "archiver"  (new word perhaps?) of these interesting things in a religious institution, I would say that sometimes they represent the only visage of a person, place or thing that exists in the collection.  They are unique because they are no longer used.   That makes them intrinsic parts of a collection in the artifacts category.   I should think that before pitching all of them, you would be wise to check for reproducible coverage.   Where you don't have a hard image, keep them.   Where you do, be creative but document where they went.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Angelo [mailto:michael.angelo@MAIL.TJU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 3:54 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: printing cuts in a university archives

Excellent query (esp. on a day full of off-topic, all-the-time!).  I have
seen a pile of these at every institution I have worked at and never had a
satisfying use...since there always seems to be a printed image published.
Turn them into decorative desk art for sale to Alums?

Michael
F. Michael Angelo
University Archivist and Special Collections Librarian
Thomas Jefferson University
Scott Memorial Library
1020 Walnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107