Re: printing cuts in a university archives

In this case, no, they'll never be reprinted in their original form. I was
thinking of asking our printing and typography faculty if they wanted this
stuff for their students to use in projects - I can imagine some odd
out-of-context artists' book uses of these things. Certain things, like
good images of university buildings, say, I would keep without question.

If the cut's not damaged, you can readily get an image of it from a
proofing press or handpress. I know someone whose job it used to be (back
in the 50s) to separate the cut itself from the woodblock at a Boston
newspaper so they could save the image (and space) and presumably reuse
the block for a new cut!

Jeffrey Makala
Assistant University Archivist/Reference Librarian
Special Collections & Archives
Olin Library, Wesleyan University                    860.685.3863
252 Church St.                                       860.685.2661 fax
Middletown CT 06459                                  jmakala@wesleyan.edu