Archie Motley injured

Archie Motley was injured by a fall in the East Basement storage room at the Chicago Historical Society at about 4 PM on Tuesday, August 20th.  He has a severe head injury and some broken bones.

A CHS intern, who had been working in the room just before 4 PM, returned to the room a few minutes later and found him.  She called the Security Desk staff, who called for an ambulance, which responded promptly.  The ambulance took him to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he went into surgery before 6 PM to relieve pressure on his brain.

He is in an Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.  He is unconscious but his cranial pressure seems to be stabilized.  His wife, Valerie Gerrard Browne, and their daughter, Mara Motley, have been spending a great deal of time with him, of course.

This is part of the statement by Lonnie Bunch, CHS's president and director, to the CHS staff:
"Archie has been the heart and soul of CHS for more than 47 years, and no one has won more respect and affection from staff or from colleagues in the history and archives fields. I ask you to join my prayers for Archie's recovery and for his family, Valerie Browne and Mara Motley, as they endure this difficult and uncertain period."

I know Archie's many friends who are just hearing about his injury will be as greatly saddened by the news as CHS staff have been.  If you want to send cards or messages, it seems best to address them:
c/o Northwestern Memorial Hospital
Patient: Archie Motley, Room 948
251 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611

Linda
Linda  J. Evans
Chicago Historical Society
1601 North Clark St., Chicago, IL 60614-6071
phone: 312-799-2036; fax: 312-799-2336; email: evans@chicagohistory.org
CHS switchboard: 312-642-4600; Web-site: www.chicagohistory.org