RAIN 826 Weekly Update: General (5)

First Monday 8/2002
Hoax E-mails and Bonsai Kittens: Are You E-literate in the Docuverse
by Angela Lewis
Introduction
Last Sunday afternoon I caught myself 'speaking in a raised voice' to my young son over
the fact that I never see him use a book for research; his first port of call is the Internet.
"Didn't the school encourage him to use printed media for research?" I harangued. Why did he take the easy way out and use the Internet, what was wrong with going to the library?
He just rolled his eyes and looked at me like I was from another planet.
The arrival of a plea to save kittens that were being bred in glass jars into my e-mail inbox, combined with worrying about my son's unquestioning acceptance of the 'is Internet, is good' mantra, led me to think further about the concept of being information literate and the attendant issue of the critical examination of information we locate on the Internet.
In all fairness it is not just my young son who accepts anything that emanates from
cyberspace as being right and true. Think about how many hoax and crank e-mails come
through your e-mail inbox. The people that send them on to us truly believe they are
performing a social duty; warning others of the dire consequences that await Babu the
elephant if we don't send this email to six of our nearest and dearest, or the damage that will be done to our computers if we don't delete a file off our computers.
http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue7_8/lewis/index.html

New York Times 8/19/02
Art in Ashes, Drama in Dust
By MICHAEL KIMMELMAN
Leave it to someone who had no intention of making art to show what good memorial art looks like.
David Cohen is the owner of Chelsea Jeans, a clothing store on Broadway near Fulton Street, a block from where the World Trade Center used to be. The terrorist attack on Sept. 11 smashed his front window. He had to get rid of almost everything in the store. But he decided to keep a corner of the place intact.
He spent about $10,000 sealing more than $1,000 worth of Ralph Lauren sweaters and shirts and Levi jeans, covered with the pulverized remains of the twin towers, behind glass, creating a 50-square-foot, ready-made diorama of ground zero.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/19/arts/design/19NOTE.html?8hpid

Naples Daily News 8/19/02
Preserving Wealth: How long should you hold records? It's best to check with advisers
http://www.naplesnews.com/02/08/business/d300434a.htm

New York Times 8/19/02
Wired Students Prefer Campus News on Paper
By MARCIN SKOMIAL
ere's news. Even though college campuses are some of the most wired places on Earth, printed versions of college newspapers remain far more popular than their online editions.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/19/technology/19PAPE.html

Wired 8/21/02
How Much Info Is Too Much Info?
Associated Press
WASHINGTON -- States have made significant progress in putting their court records online, allowing the public to examine criminal cases, lawsuits and divorces. However, all are struggling to develop privacy standards that keep pace with the technology, says a report released Wednesday.
The Washington-based Center for Democracy and Technology said states are trying to figure out how to balance the right to access public records with the risks of putting a battered wife's address on the Internet or posting uncorroborated child abuse allegations for all to see.
http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,54683,00.html

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
pakurilecz@aol.com
Richmond, Va