From: Beth S. Harris [mailto:bharris@HOLLINS.EDU]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 3:38 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: symbolism of creepy yearbook illustrations

Dear Colleagues:

I am doing some exhibit research on the history of our yearbook, The
Spinster.  We have a secret service organization, Freya, that has been in
existence for approximately 100 years.  (Membership hasn't always been
secret, however.  In the early days, the group put on plays on May Day and
called themselves the "Fairies of Freya.")  It's hard to get in touch with
these folks due to the secrecy so I thought I would turn to the List for
help.

According to Britannica, Freya was a Viking goddess of love, fertility, etc.
A Google search pulled up some Wicca (and related sites).
 The yearbook illustrations for this organization during the first 30 years
or so were really creepy looking.  So there are four aspects:  creepy images
(hooded figures, fire, bats, snakes, skulls), Viking fertility, service, and
secrecy.  I'm not sure what the connection between the idea of service and
these images.  A co-worker of mine says that some of these are universal
symbols and are not particularly connected to the goddess or Wicca.

What are these weird images doing in a yearbook of a nice Southern genteel
ladies college and what do they mean?  Does anyone know of other similar
organization that used such imagery?

For a sample, go to
http://www.hollins.edu/academics/library/services/freya.htm

Thanks so much for your help!

Beth S. Harris,
Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library / Hollins University
POB 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Roanoke, VA  24020-1000
Phone: 540.362.6237 / Fax: 540.362.6756
Web:http://www.hollins.edu/academics/library/libtoc.htm