Re: symbolism of creepy yearbook illustrations

I wouldn't read too much of a political agenda into the illustrations.
Secret societies, useful and deplorable alike, just like creepy symbolism
On the other hand, perhaps a well-trained deconstructionist could reveal
Mozart's subtext in the Magic Flute, beyond the Masonic advertising on the
surface?

Among our favorite relics at the University of Georgia are materials
relating to the Secret Seven: Temple of the Skull and Bones, chock full of
skulls, bones, cauldrons and pseudo-King James' Bible language.  It all
dates to the 1830's & 1840's, long before the KKK.   Even though your
samples from 1916 fit chronologically with the KKK's 1915 revival, I'd
venture they were drinking from the same symbolic well, along with many
other politically diverse groups, but were not fellow travelers.

Besides, if you compare the Freya names and symbols with those the Klan
adopted, you will probably see that whatever your students developed wasn't
goofy enough for the KKK's Kleagles, Klaverns and Exalted Octopi.

Your organization arose during the heyday of H. Rider Haggard and other lost
ancient society fantasists, which might have been a source of the Viking
inspiration.  A goodly selection of information about that genre can be
found at http://www.violetbooks.com/catalog.html .

By the way:  Several volumes of the minutes of the Temple of the Skull and
Bones, University of Georgia (or Franklin College) were given away back in
the 19th century to an unspecified requestor (so much for 19th century
records management).  If anyone out there has them, we would love to know.

Steven

Steven Brown
Head, University Archives & Records Management
Hargrett Library
Main Library
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia  30602
sabrown@arches.uga.edu

Archives:  http://www.libs.uga.edu/hargrett/archives/index.html
Records:  http://www.libs.uga.edu/recman/www.html

"I am sorry to hear of the removal of Prof. M.  I wish him well for what he
has been, - and for his present merits - but as his principles are
contagious, it will be best for him I think to go where they can do no harm
as in Georgia he will find Jacobins formed to his hand - and who are past
being polluted."

 -  Jedidiah Morse on the departure of Joisah Meigs from Yale to assume the
presidency of the University of Georgia, 1801.