Re: symbolism of creepy yearbook illustrations

In my experience such groups often change greatly from decade to decade.  With the recent popularity of Wiccan "philosophy," especially among teenage girls, the society may have moved from one that in previous years just had a fascination with that sort of thing to actually practicing the religion.  The history and developments over the years of such groups are fascinating, but often not well documented.  Best wishes for your research.

>>> "Beth S. Harris" <bharris@HOLLINS.EDU> 08/26/02 03:38PM >>>
Dear Colleagues:

I am doing some exhibit research on the history of our yearbook, The Spinster.  We have a secret service organization, Freya, that has been in existence for approximately 100 years.  (Membership hasn't always been secret, however.  In the early days, the group put on plays on May Day and called themselves the "Fairies of Freya.")  It's hard to get in touch with these folks due to the secrecy so I thought I would turn to the List for help.

According to Britannica, Freya was a Viking goddess of love, fertility, etc.  A Google search pulled up some Wicca (and related sites).
The yearbook illustrations for this organization during the first 30 years or so were really creepy looking.  So there are four aspects:  creepy images (hooded figures, fire, bats, snakes, skulls), Viking fertility, service, and secrecy.  I'm not sure what the connection between the idea of service and these images.  A co-worker of mine says that some of these are universal symbols and are not particularly connected to the goddess or Wicca.

What are these weird images doing in a yearbook of a nice Southern genteel ladies college and what do they mean?  Does anyone know of other similar organization that used such imagery?

For a sample, go to http://www.hollins.edu/academics/library/services/freya.htm

Thanks so much for your help!

Beth S. Harris,
Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library / Hollins University
POB 9000 / 7950 E. Campus Drive
Roanoke, VA  24020-1000
Phone: 540.362.6237 / Fax: 540.362.6756
Web:http://www.hollins.edu/academics/library/libtoc.htm