From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU] On
Behalf Of Herb Hartsook
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 9:35 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Oral Historians Needed

SAA's Oral History Section is sponsoring a program for the 2003 annual
meeting of the Society of American Archivists in Los Angeles and looking
for potential speakers.  The program deals with unexpected problems that
crop up during an interview or oral history project.

We hope to find four speakers who can describe the problem they faced,
how they dealt with it, and how the issue impacted on their project. For
example, problems with human subject regulations; narrators who wish
their transcripts to be revised heavily; and narrators whose vivid
recollections prove totally false.  We'd also very much like to find a
Los Angeles area narrator willing to talk about the process of being
interviewed, editing one's own transcript....

If you wish to be considered for this session, or can suggest someone
who might contribute to the session, please contact me as below.

Herb Hartsook

Herbert J. Hartsook, Curator of Modern Political Collections South
Caroliniana Library University of South Carolina Columbia, SC 29208
(803) 777-0577

"Life is not easy, and least of all is it easy for either the man or the
nation that aspires to do great deeds."  TR