Re: creepy symbolism

Medwyn Parry wrote:

> I understand that the nazi swastika was a mirrored image of the old symbol,
> also used in witchcraft rituals over here.

Sometimes called, depending on which way the symbol faces and
who's doing the calling, a fylfot or sunwheel--a good luck symbol
in parts of Asia and pre-Columbian America (as others have mentioned).
In Finland in WWII, it was the national marking on airplanes (originating
from, IIRC, the family crest of one of the founders of the Finnish Air
Force).

Speaking of creepy, the roadshow of Romanov art and knick-knackery
("Czars: 400 Years of Imperial Heritage" or something like that) is
wrapping up its stint in Memphis.  My wife and I saw it a few weeks
ago, and emerged into the giftshop to find, among other things, souvenirs
with the 'two-faced vulture' Russian crest, and, more disturbing to
anyone with a clue, hammer-and-sickle and CCCP memorabilia.
This, in the city where the new public library came under fire for
including "Workers of the world, unite!" in its public art installation . . .

(BTW, I know the preferred transliteration is TSar.)

Ed Frank
U of Memphis Libraries