Secret Societies

For several years, after George Bush (Sr.) was elected President, there
was a running joke/column in Doonesbury alluding to the "Skull and Bones"
(I think that was the name) society that George was a member of in
college.   I don't recall all the particulars but a number of newspaper
columnists commented at the time about this college fraternity, their
symbols (skulls, etc.), habits of meeting in cemeteries, and the unusual
number of Washington insiders that had been members of this fraternity
in college.

There's some popular allusions to this in the motion picture genre such
as Dead Poets Society, and a few other B movies along the lines of
horror films.

I don't find anything "creepy" in this except to note that it has been a part
of the college scene for years ... it is akin to the "themes" that we find
in children's literature where kids go through "ages of reading" progressing
through fairy tales, animal stories (dogs, cats, horses), ghost stories,
mysteries, romance, role-playing/fantasy, etc.

Dean
Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338