[B-Greek] Time Reference in Jn 6:16-21, Matt. 14:22-27, Mk 6:45-62

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 15:09:50 EDT 2008

a few corrections

> The narratives Jn 6:16-21, Matt. 14:22-27, Mk 6:45-62 include to
> darkness but no references to daylight. If Jesus approached the boat
> while it was still dark we have yet another question left unanswered.
> How did the twelve see him?
>
> Mk 6:49 hOI DE IDONTES AUTON EPI THS QALASSHS PERIPATOUNTA EDOXAN
> hOTI FANTASMA ESTIN, KAI ANEKRAXAN
>
> MT 6:26 hOI DE MAQHTAI IDONTES AUTON EPI THS QALASSHS
> PERIPATOUNTA ETARACQHSAN LEGONTES hOTI FANTASMA ESTIN, KAI APO TOU
> FOBOU EKRAXAN.

Mk 6:49 hOI DE IDONTES AUTON EPI THS QALASSHS PERIPATOUNTA EDOXAN
hOTI FANTASMA ESTIN, KAI ANEKRAXAN

MT 6:26 hOI DE MAQHTAI IDONTES AUTON EPI THS QALASSHS
PERIPATOUNTA ETARACQHSAN LEGONTES hOTI FANTASMA ESTIN, KAI APO TOU
FOBOU EKRAXAN.

> I did a little work on FANTASMA to see if it implies something that
> provides its own light from within, but I wasn't able to determine
> this other than via etymology which we all *know* is of no value in
> questions like this. The gospel narratives assume that the twelve can
> see Jesus at some distance from the boat. I have been in small boats
> at night with strong winds and I find this to be more than a little
> implausible. But this doesn't seem to pose a problem for narrators of
> Jn, MK, MT. So perhaps they are thinking about early predawn light.

Of course from the perspective of a first century narrator these
issues might not even come to mind, although John's attempt at more
precision JN 20:1 seems to imply awareness that questions like this
might be significant.

JN 20:1 THi DE MIAi TWN SABBATWN MARIA hH MAGDALHNH ERCETAI PRWI
SKOTIAS ETI OUSHS EIS TO MNHMEION KAI BLEPEI TON LIQON HRMENON EK TOU
MNHMEIOU.

Elizabeth Kline