[B-Greek] Eph. 3:13 Who shouldn't get discouraged?

Webb Mealy webb at selftest.net
Thu Jun 5 18:46:12 EDT 2008

DIO AITOUMAI MH EGKAKEIN EN TAIS QLIYESIN MOU hUPER hUMWN, hHTIS ESTIN DOXA
hUMWN (Eph. 3:13)

So I'm asking you not to be discouraged over the troubles/persecutions that
I'm facing on your behalf-it's your glory.

Or:

So I'm praying that I won't be discouraged in the troubles/persecutions that
I'm facing on your behalf-it's your glory.

This passage raises three questions for me:

1. Is he asking them not to be discouraged, or is he praying that he won't
be discouraged/run out of gas/falter?

2. What's the antecedent of hHTIS?

3. Do the answers to the previous questions give us any clue as to what he
means by hHTIS ESTIN DOXA hUMWN? I suspect that, if he means to encourage
them not to be discouraged, hHTIS ESTIN DOXA hUMWN basically means, "My
sufferings are something for you to be proud of". If he means that he is
praying that HE won't give up, does he perhaps mean that his effort to keep
going in the face of persecution is so that their honor will be upheld?

 1 Thess. 2:20 seems to be a parallel.

Webb Mealy

  _____

It has removed 11407 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!