[B-Greek] Eph. 3:13 Who shouldn't get discouraged?

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 19:07:02 EDT 2008

It has been noted previously that either understanding is possible.
The following words, however, admit of two interpretations. Either, I pray that I may not lose heart, or, I entreat you, not to lose heart. The latter view is adopted by the Syr., Theodoret, Jerome, Bengel, Harless, Olshausen, Braune. In its favour it is alleged that it is much more natural to supply the subject of the infinitive from that of the substantive verb; and, secondly, that it is difficult to understand ἐνon the other view. But the chief objection to the first-mentioned interpretation, according to Harless, is from the structure of the whole passage. Either St. Paul resumes in these words the course of thought begun in ver. 1, or he does not. Now it is the thought of supplication for his readers that separates the subsequent context from the parenthesis. If, then, he does not here resume ver. 1, how can we suppose that he could express the same thought in the parenthesis itself without observing that the parenthesis was thereby removed? If
 he does here resume ver. 1, the τούτου χάριν [TOUTOU XARIN] after διό [DIO], instead of καί [KAI], is inexplicable, or rather intolerable. The argument assumes that αἰτοῦμαι [AITOUMAI] means, I pray (God), and is set aside by taking that word as = I entreat you. The difficulties in Theodoret’s interpretation are greater. First, if αἰτοῦμαι [AITOUMAI] is, I pray God, Θεόν [QEON] could hardly be omitted. The passages cited as parallel, viz. Col. 1:9and Jas. 1:6, are not really so. In the former, αἰτούμενοι [AITOUMENOI] only expresses the content of the prayer mentioned in προσευχόμενοι [PROSEUXOMENOI], which, of course, means prayer to God. In the latter, αἰτείτω [AITEITW] repeats the αἰτείτω [AITEITW] of the previous verse, which is defined by παρὰ τοῦ δίδοντος Θεοῦ πᾶσιν [PARA TOU DIDONTOS QEOU PASIN]. Moreover, the words ἥτις
 ἐστι δόξα ὑμῶν [hHTIS ESTI DOCA hUMWN] supply much more naturally a motive for the readers than for the apostle. The μου [MOU] after θλίψεσι [QLIYESI], too, would be superfluous if the apostle were praying for himself. And we may add that the implied apprehension lest he should be disheartened by persecution is not in harmony with the apostle’s character or with his other utterances. He gloried in tribulation, and took pleasure in persecution (Rom. 5:3; 2 Cor. 12:10; Col. 1:24). Compare also the passage just referred to in Rom. 8:38, 39. But he might have reason to fear that some of the Gentile converts might be tempted to lose heart when they saw the persecution to which the apostle was subjected just because of his proclaiming the doctrine, here insisted on, of the free and equal participation of the Gentiles in the blessings of the Messiah’s kingdom.
Abbott, T. K. (1909). A critical and exegetical commentary on the epistles to the Ephesians and to the Colossians (91). New York: C. Scribner's sons.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.