[B-Greek] Romans 8:16: SUMMARTUREI TWi PNEUMATI

Edgar Foster edgarfoster2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 14:55:52 EDT 2008

Greetings,

The text reads: AUTO TO PNEUMA SUMMARTUREI TWi
PNEUMATI HhMWN hOTI ESMEN TEKNA QEOU.

Daniel B. Wallace argues somewhat extensively that
SUMMARTUREI TWi PNEUMATI is a dative of indirect
object ("bear witness to") rather than a dative of
association ("bear witness with"). He appeals (INTER
ALIA) to BDAG to support his argument. On the other
hand, Robert Jewett (Commentary on Romans in the
Hermeneia series) robustly contends that the
construction in Romans 8:16 should be understood as
indicating some type of co-witnessing in view of the
prefix SUN and examples that we find in Plato's Hipp.
maj. 282b1 (SUMMARTURHSAI DE SOI) or an example from
Plutarch (Adul. amic. 64c13) and Josephus (Ant.
19.154). Moulton-Milligan also suggests that there are
texts from the papyri that favor the understanding
"bear witness with." I just wondered what members of
this list think.

Edgar Foster