[B-Greek] Romans 8:16: SUMMARTUREI TWi PNEUMATI

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 15:32:56 EDT 2008

On Jun 8, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Edgar Foster wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The text reads: AUTO TO PNEUMA SUMMARTUREI TWi
> PNEUMATI HhMWN hOTI ESMEN TEKNA QEOU.
>
> Daniel B. Wallace argues somewhat extensively that
> SUMMARTUREI TWi PNEUMATI is a dative of indirect
> object ("bear witness to") rather than a dative of
> association ("bear witness with"). He appeals (INTER
> ALIA) to BDAG to support his argument. On the other
> hand, Robert Jewett (Commentary on Romans in the
> Hermeneia series) robustly contends that the
> construction in Romans 8:16 should be understood as
> indicating some type of co-witnessing in view of the
> prefix SUN and examples that we find in Plato's Hipp.
> maj. 282b1 (SUMMARTURHSAI DE SOI) or an example from
> Plutarch (Adul. amic. 64c13) and Josephus (Ant.
> 19.154). Moulton-Milligan also suggests that there are
> texts from the papyri that favor the understanding
> "bear witness with." I just wondered what members of
> this list think.
>
> Edgar Foster

The article in question is found here:

http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3434

This article is mostly theological, I took a look at the evidence
cited from Sophocles and Euripides. It seemed that SUMMARTUREW might
be construed as associative with or without the dative. I didn't see
any clear examples where the associative idea was absolutely
impossible. For example:

The text as cited in article:
E.Hel. 1079-80

1079 KAI MHN TAD' AMFIBLHSTRA SWMATOS hRAKH

1080 XUMMARTURES NAUTIKWN EREIPIWN.

In this case the rags could be construed as bearing witness in support
or along with Menelaus.

The text from the TLG-E CD (not identical with the TLG web text of
Euripides)

1079 KAI MHN TAD' AMFIBLHSTRA SWMATOS hRAKH

1080 XUMMARTURES SOI NAUTIKWN EREIPIWN.

Here SOI would appear to support Wallace's case for non-associative
datives with SUMMARTUREW.

E.IA 1057-58

1157 hOU SOI KATALLACQEISA PERI SE KAI DOMOUS

1158 SUMMARTURHSEIS hWS AMEMPTOS H GUNH,

D.Kovacs trans.

"Once I was reconciled to you, you will be my wittness
that as a wife I was blameless in regard to you and your house."

Again, in this example the idea Agamemnon being a co-witness with
Clytaemestra isn't impossible.

Wallace admits that Soph.E 1224 and Philo. 438 don't support his case.

Elizabeth Kline