[B-Greek] Romans 8:16: SUMMARTUREI TWi PNEUMATI

Ron Fay roncfay at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 16:12:54 EDT 2008

Brian,

I tend to disagree for the simple reason of context. Much of Romans 8 contains intentional shifts by Paul, shifting from a singular Spirit to a corporate idea of spirit (PNEUMATI hHMWN here) and back again. I think Paul is using the double idea since he argues both for the place of the Spirit of God to be active in the life of believers but also for the human spirit to engage with God's Spirit to overthrow the flesh and the law. I also think verse 23 argues for this understanding of the Spirit with our spirit, if I am forced to an either or instead of a both and.

Ron C. Fay, PhD
Cornerstone Community Church
Wadsworth, IL
roncfay at hotmail.com