[B-Greek] Teaching declensions

JMonte2000 at aol.com JMonte2000 at aol.com
Thu Jun 12 21:03:28 EDT 2008

In a message dated 6/12/2008 8:56:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cwconrad at artsci.wustl.edu writes:

When I  learned Greek, I was taught things like noun endings, e.g.,
> os,  ou, wi, on, e, in the second declension.  As I prepare to teach
> a beginning Greek class in the Fall, I am wondering about two
> things.  Is it really the case that the noun stem of LOGOS is  LOGO
> and the nom.s.mas. second declension ending is S rather  than OS?
> Second, is that really helpful to present the  endings as S,O,I,N,
> etc.?  I'm thinking that teaching  students that a second declension
> noun ends OS, OU, Wi, ON, E,  etc. is far better, not least because
> you can pronounce ON for  purposes of practice, as opposed to only
> N.  Any  comments?  Thanks.

Hi Ken I learned them both, knowing that the ending is S from LOGOS,  and
also be able to recognize that it's OS. But the first one I got in my head  was
the S. I did that with all of them. That's Bill Mounce's method, you'll see
how he does it in his book, Basic's to Biblical Greek 2nd edition. I liked this
way of learning them.

Grace and  peace
Jim Montesano