[B-Greek] EIS in Matthew 10:41-42

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 13 17:01:05 EDT 2008

On Jun 13, 2008, at 12:57 PM, Elizabeth Kline wrote:

> Turner (Syntax pp.155,166) and Moule (Idiom Book, p.79) do not equate
> EN [TWi] ONOMATI with  EIS [TO] ONOMA. Turner (p155) reads  EIS [TO]
> ONOMA as causal "because of" or "for the sake of" and Moule "because
> he is a prophet"

Correction: I not certain what Moule's position is on this. He may in
fact consider these equivalent expressions. He cites a work
(Beg.Christ. Foakes-Jackson and others v, 123. n3) which I don't have
access to and his remarks assume you have read it which I have but not
is the last decade.

M.Zerwick #98,#106 claims that Matt. preserves the distinction between
EIS and EN and in Matthew 10:41-42 EIS has a causal semantic function.
He claims that EN [TWi] ONOMATI and  EIS [TO] ONOMA represent two
different semantic functions of 'leshem'.

Elizabeth Kline