[B-Greek] Luke 24.7 rising "again"

Mitch Larramore mitchlarramore at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 12:32:25 EDT 2008

LEGWN TON hUION TOU ANQRWPOU hOTI DEI PARADOQHNAI EIS CEIRAS ANQRWPWN hAMARTWLWN KAI STAURWQHNAI KAI THi TRITHi hHMERAi ANASTHNAI

 that the Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again. (NET)

Why is ANA taken to mean "again"? I got in trouble once from one of my professors for writing "revert back to ..." He called the "back" redundant. Seems to me the idea of rising "again" doesn't capture the idea of ANASTHNAI. Surely there was not a previous resurrection to which this one is a subsequent resurrection, so that he indeed did rise again.

Mitch Larramore
Sugar Land, Texas