[B-Greek] Luke 24.7 rising "again"

George F Somsel gfsomsel at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 13:35:12 EDT 2008

I would think that "rise again" would be worse than redundant here since it could imply that there was a previous resurrection.  On the other hand, certain prepositions (particularly inseparable ones) don't always have the sense one would expect.  One may speak of a person as being "amicable" or "in-amicable" meaning that one is friendly while the other is not.  When it comes to other uses of the sam prefix, however, the same rule doesn't hold, e.g. "flammable" and "inflammable" where both are subject to combustion.  There is a similar case with the alpha privative in Greek and what * appears * to be an alpha privative.  Offhand I don't recall an example of the latter although I do recall that at one time I mistakenly took the alpha as a privative when it was not.

 george
gfsomsel

… search for truth, hear truth,
defend the truth till death.