[B-Greek] Romans 8:16: SUMMARTUREI TWi PNEUMATI

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 14 15:33:36 EDT 2008

On Jun 14, 2008, at 11:48 AM, Carl Conrad wrote:

> I have no new "scientific" evidence to contribute to this discussion
> (if that is what it is); it all strikes me as much ado about little
> or nothing. It's rather a nuisance to have to deal with a plethora
> of terminology to describe dative usage. I go along with the notion
> of three fundamental case-usage categories of the dative; I taught
> them as "true dative" (instances of an indirect object where we'd
> use "to" or "for" in English and it's used with a noun indicating a
> person), "locative dative" (instances of stationary time or place
> where we'd use "in" or "at" in English and it's used with a noun
> indicating a locality or time-word), and "instrumental/
> comitative" (instances of instrumentality or association where we'd
> use "by" or "with" or "by means of" in English with an appropriate
> nominal form. I think these distinctions generally hold valid in the
> Koine, with a striking exception of EN + dative which is often
> instrumental rather than locative and is perhaps used even more
> extensively.
>
> There really isn't any doubt regarding what SUMMARTUREW with a
> dative of the person means: "back up the testimony of ... " or
> "support." I just don't see what all the folderol about classifying
> the usage is about.

Thank You Carl,

As with many threads, not all the participants in this one are
discussing the same issue. My part was to take a look a the notion of
'intensification' in preposition verb compounds.

You wrote:

> There really isn't any doubt regarding what SUMMARTUREW with a
> dative of the person means: "back up the testimony of ... " or
> "support."

I agree. I don't have any doubts about. But I was under the impression
that by choosing to focus on 'intensification' Wallace was taking this
in different direction. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the clarification, helpful as always.

Elizabeth Kline