[B-Greek] Luke 24.7 rising "again"

Carl Conrad cwconrad2 at mac.com
Sat Jun 14 19:21:53 EDT 2008

On Jun 14, 2008, at 5:48 PM, Craig Johnson <newsgroupstuff> wrote:

> Perhaps if we think of it as when someone first lived, they
> originally rose
> or stood up. When they die, they are brought low. When they become
> alive
> *again* they also rise or stand *again*. Same as re-surrection (re +
> surgere
> = rise again).
>
> Seems to not be too redundant to me :)

Would it be too much to suggest that the fundamental meaning of the
prefix ANA- is "up"? ANISTAMAI means "get up" -- from a sitting, or
reclining -- or dormant -- position. ANISTAMAI and EGEIROMAI are
roughly equivalent standard words for "wake up," "get up," "arise."
The verb is used of resurrection just as the verb KOIMAOMAI "go to
sleep,"  is used metaphorically of death. It is those who choose to
translate ANASTHNAI as "rise again" who are responsible for the
redundancy. There's nothing redundant in the Greek verb itself.

Carl W. Conrad