[B-Greek] ANUPOKRITOS in Wisdom 18:15

Beata Urbanek beata.urbanek at op.pl
Mon Jun 16 09:14:57 EDT 2008

Dear list members,

I read in dictionaries that ANUPOKRITOS means "without hipocrisy,sincere, genuine, udisguised". It seems to be its meaning in NT, when e.g. Paul talks about genuine love or faith (Rom 12:9; 2 Cor 6:6; 1 Tim 1:5). But in Polish translations, in one commentary written in English I find the translation "irrevocable".
The text of Wisdom 18:15 is:

hO PANTODUNAMOS SOU LOGOS AP OURANWN EK QRONWN BASILEIWN APOTOMOS POLEMISTHS EIS MESON THS OLEQRIAS hHLATO GHS XIFOS OXU THN ANUPOKRITON EPITAGHN SOU FERWN

My first question is: is that translation as irrevocalbe correct?

2. Since the other occurence of the word in LXX is in Wisdom 5:18, where it desrcibes KRISIS I wonder if it could mean something closer to "authentic, solid, just". Am I right?

Any help appreciated.

Beata Urbanek
University of Silesia
Poland