[B-Greek] ANUPOKRITOS in Wisdom 18:15

Elizabeth Kline kline_dekooning at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 16 13:28:48 EDT 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, at 6:14 AM, Beata Urbanek wrote:

> I read in dictionaries that ANUPOKRITOS means "without
> hipocrisy,sincere, genuine, udisguised". It seems to be its meaning
> in NT, when e.g. Paul talks about genuine love or faith (Rom 12:9; 2
> Cor 6:6; 1 Tim 1:5). But in Polish translations, in one commentary
> written in English I find the translation "irrevocable".
> The text of Wisdom 18:15 is:
>
> hO PANTODUNAMOS SOU LOGOS AP OURANWN EK QRONWN BASILEIWN APOTOMOS
> POLEMISTHS EIS MESON THS OLEQRIAS hHLATO GHS XIFOS OXU THN
> ANUPOKRITON EPITAGHN SOU FERWN
>
> My first question is: is that translation as irrevocalbe correct?
>
> 2. Since the other occurence of the word in LXX is in Wisdom 5:18,
> where it desrcibes KRISIS I wonder if it could mean something closer
> to "authentic, solid, just". Am I right?

WIS. 18:15 hO PANTODUNAMOS SOU LOGOS AP OURANWN EK QRONWN BASILEIWN
APOTOMOS POLEMISTHS EIS MESON THS OLEQRIAS hHLATO GHS XIFOS OXU THN
ANUPOKRITON EPITAGHN SOU FERWN

NETS Wisdom 18:15

... bearing your irrevocable command ...

LEH

ANUPOKRITOS
	Wis 5:18; 18:15
	 irrevocable,  without hypocrisy, unfeigned
	Cf. LARCHER 1984, 389-390; SPICQ 1978a, 105.107; 1982, 656-657

Spicq v3 p412 n26

Wis 18:15—the all-powerful word of God “carried your authentic
command (ἀνυπόκριτον ἐπιταγήν) as a sharp
sword,” the nuance being that the divine ruling (ordering
extermination) is irrevocable, will not be retracted (cf. Iamblichus,
VP 31.188). The adverb ἀνυποκρίτως: “Do what human
nature requires . . . without dissimulation” (Marcus Aurelius 8.5.2).

Wis 18:15—the all-powerful word of God “carried your authentic
command (ANUPOKRITOS EPITAGHN) as a sharp sword,” the nuance being
that the divine ruling (ordering extermination) is irrevocable, will
not be retracted (cf. Iamblichus, VP 31.188). The adverb ANUPOKRITWS
v: “Do what human nature requires . . . without
dissimulation” (Marcus Aurelius 8.5.2).

D. Winston Wisdom AB P113 "bearing unambiguous decree"

I think the critical issue in Wis 18:15 is how to construe ANUPOKRITON
with EPITAGHN SOU.

Elizabeth Kline